This new, beautifully illustrated edition of Hamlet expertly assists students in understanding Shakespeare’s great play and thoroughly prepares them for the Leaving Certificate exam.
Focused scene-by-scene analysis:
- Introductory bullet points before each scene help focus the reading and guide analysis
- Study Notes with a special focus on Shakespeare’s Language
- Revision Overviews highlight thematic and character developments
- Key Quotes plus commentary
- Exam-style questions and Sample Paragraphs with examiner’s comments
“Most in-depth Comparative Study notes and tips” and “Only edition to feature Examiner Comments”
Essential study notes:
- Characters – analytical study, timelines, homework exercises
- Central Themes and Issues
- Dramatic Techniques (Imagery, Dramatic Irony, Soliloquies)
- Hamlet as a Comparative Text – modes defined, exemplar paragraphs with examiner’s comments
- Exam Technique – purposeful use of key scenes, paragraphing succinctly and quoting effectively
- Sample answer plans and paragraphs enable students to scaffold successful answers
- Sample Leaving Certificate exam questions, relevant to the latest changes in the exam
- Full Sample Essays – marked and graded with invaluable examiner’s comments
Each Gill Shakespeare Focus: Hamlet comes with a free eBook!
Additional Teacher’s Resources are available on GillExplore.ie:
- MARTIN KIERAN and FRANCES ROCKS are experienced teachers and examiners who have written several Leaving Certificate English textbooks. Martin has worked for many years as Chief Advising Examiner for Leaving Certificate Higher Level English. Frances delivers in-service workshops for second-level English teachers throughout the country.