Type of vacancy: Permanent
Position: Senior Editor
Starting month: September 2017
Gill Education, Ireland’s leading publisher of educational and trade titles, is seeking a Senior Editor for its demanding education department. The successful candidate will be an experienced structural copy-editor who will work with authors to improve and craft material to ensure it is of the highest quality for publishing.
- Project managing own list of titles.
- Copy-editing, structural/development editing and proofreading.
- Preparing design-ready Word files using styling templates.
- Preparing typesetting, design and cover briefs.
- Liaising with authors, designers, illustrators and typesetters.
- Picture research/commissioning artwork.
- Monitoring and maintaining the quality of content.
- Copyright clearance.
- Training and supervising junior staff as appropriate.
- Managing freelance editors as required.
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Strong influencing and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritise and manage time efficiently.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to coordinate various elements required to deliver projects.
- Ability to work across functions effectively.
- Attention to detail.
- Flexibility and conscientiousness.
- Decision-making and initiative.
- Third level qualification.
- 2–3 years’ experience as an editor.
- Experience editing highly illustrated textbooks would be desirable.
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Word (creating templates, macros, etc.), Excel and Outlook.
Apply with CV and cover letter by Wednesday, 30 August, to Deborah Marsh, Directors’ & Editorial Assistant, Gill Education, Hume Avenue, Park West, Dublin 12.